Tuesday, June 29, 2004

gmail invites.. marketing at its best!

I think gmail, by not giving away accounts with sign-ups but by using the invites, have got lot of good marketing fot itself. I find tremendous interest among my friends and colleagues to get one account.

While its 1GB mail account is in itself a good idea that lot of other mail services had to follow, I think the key that wud seperate gmail from others is the tremendous goodwill that google search has among the development community ( I guess its the same among ppl who use net for fun/information). I think creating view folders(don't know the exact name that gmail uses for this) which is only a logical mapping for the mail is a good feature too. And don't forget the search feature. I can't tell exactly the good features becoz I don't have a gmail account. :(
Even though I have a 1GB pop3 account!!, I'm still interested in getting a gmail account for myself.

My guess is that it won't take long before everyone who needs an account gets one by way of invites. I was pissed off to see ppl selling gmail accounts. when google is giving their account for free, its bad that these guys are trying to make money out of it. I checked at eBay and now though the cost is about 9 cents for an account, heard it started with a whopping 100 dollars when gmail started giving out the invites..

ppl without gmail account... don't worry. if what you are looking for is just 1GB mail, there are alternatives.. try www.rediffmail.com(have been using it since 4-5 yrs back) or spymac.net.

P.S. anyone with a gmail invite..... plz plz send it to mutec AT spymac DOT com.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home